Sponsoring Program: Garner State Park
*Openings available beginning March 2018*
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at beautiful Garner State Park! The most exciting benefit of hosting is the opportunity to call us your "home away from home" for up to 6 months! We are seeking individuals with a passion for preserving nature, good verbal communication skills, willingness to interact with visitors, and a helpful attitude. During your stay, take advantage of the Frio Canyon's scenic beauty, wildlife, and crystal-clear waters of the Frio River. Garner State Park needs you!
The host position is for 1 to 6 months and in exchange for 24 hours of volunteer work per week, we'll provide you with a full hookup site (50 amp). First and foremost, park hosts will oversee and maintain a campground loop during and after office hours. Additional help with summer traffic control, extra park projects and programs is also greatly appreciated!
THE ABILITY TO PERFORM THE FOLLOWING HOST TASKS IS REQUIRED AND SHOULD FULFILL AT LEAST 20 HOURS OF YOUR 24-HOUR MINIMUM:
- Picking up litter along the loop road(s) and from within each site (walk the sites)
- Cleaning full fire rings after campers depart and dumping the ashes
- Sorting and gathering aluminum cans from recycling bins and loading them into the can trailer
- Cleaning restroom/shower facilities within the loop and reporting large messes/repairs/toilet paper needs to the rangers
- Conducting morning "site checks" to look for after-hours permits to notify campers about registration (8-9am)
- Providing excellent customer service as needed
- Mowing/trimming your designated loop/area (helpful, but not required)
- Day Use litter pickup (if assigned)
FYI: Only AT&T cell service is available in the park at this time, wireless internet is available at 2 park locations (though it is slow and spotty)
**Our water is considered VERY hard (full of calcium and other minerals) and it is strongly recommended that you purchase additional water filters/softeners for your RV, as well as cooking and drinking water for you and your pet(s).**